I can’t believe it, today we finally have some sun! This seems like the perfect opportunity to show you how to make unicorn ice cream. Or, in other words, to give you an excuse to let your inner child run riot and then eat a frozen, sugary treat!
I used this recipe from BBC Good Food as the basis of my ice cream and added my own creative touches to create the final, magical product!
So, what will you need?
- ½ a 397g tin of sweetened condensed milk
- 600 ml double cream
- Whichever flavourings you desire. I picked coconut and vanilla and used a teaspoon of each.
- Food colouring in your colours of choice. I used very small amounts of red, blue and green to create pastel colours.
- Decorations of your choice. I picked Hundreds and Thousands and edible sparkles
- A hand mixer
- A spatula
- A large mixing bowl
- Several smaller bowls, one for each colour you want to mix up
- Cocktail sticks
- One spoon per bowl, to mix up each colour of ice cream
- A freezer safe container large enough to hold the ice cream and deep enough to be able to scoop from. I used a baking tin lined with cling film.
Step 1: Add the double cream to your large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add the condensed milk to the cream.
Step 3 (optional): If you’re only using one flavouring, add it now! If you’re using more than one, wait until step 6.
Step 4: Use the hand mixer to whisk the mixture until it forms stiff peaks.
Step 5: Separate the mixture into several smaller bowls. One for each colour you are using.
Step 6: If you’re using more than one flavouring, add each one to a separate bowl now. That way, each colour of ice cream will have its own flavour!
Step 7: Dip a cocktail stick into the food colouring and mix it into the ice cream. By using very little food colouring you will give your ice cream very pale pastel colours. Use a little more food colouring if you want yours to be a bit brighter.
Do this individually for each separate bowl of ice cream.
Step 8: Use a spoon to mix the colour into the ice cream more thoroughly.
Step 9: Use a spatula to scoop all of your different colours of ice cream into your freezer safe container and swirl them all together.
Make sure not too mix the ice cream too much, otherwise you will lose the marble effect.
Step 10: Pop it in the freezer until it’s solid!
Step 11: Enjoy!
This ice cream is so creamy and decadent, I know it’s going to be a show stopping must for all of my summer gatherings! I hope you enjoy making this ice cream as much as I do, and I hope you enjoy eating it even more. Drop me a comment to let me know how yours turned out!